Structural inspections and reports

A General Structural Engineers report considers the conditions of all structural elements of a building. It will identify any structural problems observed and may provide some recommendations on how they can be rectified, or whether further intrusive investigations are required. Consideration will be taken of the surrounding site and any other factors which may impact the overall stability of the structure.

What to expect

  1. Arrange a site visit and complete an inspection of the property.
  2. Where structural elements are inaccessible, we may recommend that an intrusive investigation is undertaken. Our engineers will discuss this with you before proceeding.
  3. The findings of the survey will be recorded in a General Structural Engineers report (sometimes called a Full Structural Engineers report). The report will detail the structural condition of the entire property.
  4. If requested, advice on how to rectify any structural concerns identified can be provided. This may include drawings and structural calculations.

Once you have a General Structural Engineers report this may be used as a basis for further structural design guidance for any additional works you wish to undertake.


Why might I need a General Structural Engineers report?

Typically, there are four reasons why a General Structural Engineers report is required:

  • Prospective buyers usually purchase a Structural Engineers report when a Mortgage Valuation or Building Survey has identified a possible structural defect and requires a Chartered Structural Engineer to assess.
  • Vendors purchase a Structural Engineers report when they are finding it difficult to sell a property because of a structural problem. The report can be useful to clarify the concerns of potential purchasers and outline if any remedial work is required.
  • Homeowners purchase a Structural Engineers report when they are concerned about potential structural defects they have observed and wish to rectify the issue or make an insurance claim based upon the report's findings. A Specific Structural Defect report may be sufficient in this instance.
  • Homeowners purchase a Structural Engineers report when they are planning to undertake structural alterations to an existing building, including removing structural walls, extensions or conversions.